Friday, November 6, 2009

The lonely little pumpkins

While at a friends dinner party this evening I snapped a pic (on the DL of course!) of their table, set as it was when I arrived- look at that lonely little pumpkin! Pitiful!


Can you even make these pics out???  Ugh!  What do you want, I had to take 'em on the sly!




Well you know me, I just couldn't leave that baby pumpkin to do all that work all alone! So I suggested they give him some friends. While this may not be perfect, as you can see, even on a small table, an appropriately sized grouping at the center looks MUCH better than a single piece!



I just had a lovely lady come in the Shop and purchase 3 of our small pumpkin candles- one in orange, one in green and one in cream. I LOVE these things! They’re so versatile and transitional and… and down right functional AND (not to mention) cute as can be! She told me that she wanted to use them to dress the center of her Thanksgiving table. Great! Fantastic! Sweet! I loves! And so on and so forth. I asked, her what else she was doing with them, or if it was just a very small table- she told me it sat 8! EIGHT! Eight PEOPLE! Ummm… for those of you who haven’t figured it out yet, that’s a good size table! In fact, I’d even say, that’s a large table. So, again for those of you who are having trouble keeping up, three small pumpkins running down the center of the table would just not do, not do at all! She then admitted to having some trouble with decorating and asked what I might suggest she do. I said, BUILD! Guuurl, build-it-up! This got me to thinking that there might be lots of little pumpkin candles out there this Thanksgiving that are left to shoulder the weight of oversized tables. And it just made me sad, really, really sad. Those poor little babies, lost all alone at the center of those big ’ole tables –single tear falls from corner of left eye- sad, right?!?!? Well, let’s not let that happen. Don’t be the person with the naked Thanksgiving table. Don’t shove off the burden of bringing holiday cheer onto a poor little pumpkin. BUILD IT UP! Add fresh greens (or fall colored leaves to be more specific), votive candles and pillars are ALWAYS good (battery operated if you’re a fire starter like me… don’t ask!), berry clusters in festive hues add pops of life, and mercury glass or bits of silver bring glitter (and WHO couldn’t use more glitter?!?! No really, who?). Bottom line, don’t be afraid to go all out! While I wouldn’t suggest incorporating figurines from your Precious Moments collection, a menagerie of natural pieces, generously spread is festive and when done on the dining table for meal time, will add to the feeling of bounty. So, play with it and have fun!

-J

No comments:

Post a Comment