Thursday, November 12, 2009

How do you chotchkie?















Chotchkies of purpose... turkey candles, and turkey taper holders... if you must chotchkie, chotchkie with purpose!


Let me begin my saying that I don't even know if that's how you spell the word! And, that's for those of you who are checking my spelling- yes, I actually DO read your emails- even the ridiculously critical ones, thanxxxx!). Aaaanywho, who cares about the spelling? The meaning, as defined by urbandictionary.com, is : "a small piece of worthless crap, a decorative knick knack with little or no purpose." They go on to explain that, "Chotchkie can be pretty, sentimental or even occasionally useful though it usually breaks easily if useful. If you are having trouble identifying Chotchkie just look around your house or someone else's and whatever you see that a burgler wouldn't steal is probably Chotchkie." HA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I couldn't have said it better myself!!!!!!!!!!! Fewh(!!!) wait a minute while I wipe that tear from the corner of my eye from laughing so hard! Lawd! Ok, brutally honest definition aside, the fact remains that none of us are immune to the occasional necessity of incorporating Chotchkie into our own creative canvas. Those of you who are parents can, Im sure, identify with my many clients who have at least one shelf of... ill-formed animals painted in hideously muddled color combinations that NEVER match the pallette of your home, forget about just looking anything like the animal (or God forbid, person!) that they supposedly are!... er, I mean cute little ceramic creations made by your precious little darling in art class (is it obvious that I dont have my own little Jonny running round my house?). And, ESPECIALLY this time of year, it seems the Chotchkies of the world multiply like cockroaches! So, what to do- becaue I would never suggest eliminating some of those tiny treasures, no never! Well, actually, thats exactly what Im going to do. I know this may be painful, but just as you put away your favorite sweater or shirt from time to time (or I hope you do at least, otherwise... that's just gross), YOU CAN ROTATE your collection of cra... I mean your Chotchkies! As new ones arrive, Im going to suggest that, the older ones take a rest and share the spotlight a bit. In addition, Im going to sugges that you be honest and impartial when selecting Chotchkies as gifts for friends. I mean really, as cute as their little alien looking faces may be, are you really doing your best gurl a favor by buying her another Precious Moments figurine (what is my obsession with those things?!?!?!)? No, you're not! If you MUST purchase Chotchkies as gifts, walk past the Hallmark (Im so going to get sued)- WALK ON SISTER, WALK ON M'BROTHA, WALK ON! Lean towards those pieces that have a function. If the Turkey has to wear pilgrim garb, let him be a candle (and LIGHT HIM UP). If he has to be on your table let him hold a taper and add something to the table beyond, uh, cuteness. Remind yourself, 'if the only thing I have to say about this gift is, isn't it cute, it's just not enough!' Finally, when displaying Chotchkie, do so in conservative groupings. Nothings worse than a home peppered with small surprises of cutenesses on every table top, shelf, appliance top, etc etc etc. But do note, the key word there was CONSERVATIVE. Do you still love me now, uh couse y'do!

-J

No comments:

Post a Comment