Monday, October 5, 2009

Much ado about autumn:










I just had a conversation with a client who was, well, exasperated. Poor girl has been running herself ragged the last few weeks trying to get into the season and make her house feel fall-tastic. She was telling me about all of the design tragedies she’s been having and before I interrupted her ramblings with the obvious, ‘that’s what you get for not calling me to begin with’ I thought to myself, ‘self, lemme do a good deed and help this little lovely out.' So, we went through the whole KISS explanation (apparently she had not kept up with her FGL Blog posts- strike TWO!), and then I pulled together a few must-haves (calm it! Ill do the same for you in tomorrows post), and finally I clued her into an obvious but often overlooked autumn decorating secret- pumpkins! Yes, pumpkins. What’s so different about using pumpkins. Well, think about it- more often than not people think of pumpkins as a Halloween element. BUT, it can actually carry you through thanksgiving, right? RIGHT! ‘But how can I carry my pumpkin purchases on after Halloween is over Jonathan’- that’s you. Easy- that's me. When purchasing pumpkins, look for unique colors, shapes and size variations. Collections should be varied and should not be limited by the selection offered at your nearest supermarket- don’t be lazy! If you don’t live near a grower/patch that offers optionS do some research and find some. Really! And then, place groupings throughout your home- about the corners of table legs, on the floor between arm chairs, on counter tops, in urns and bowls, etc etc etc. If pumpkins and fall leaves are the extent of your fall time décor, go all out and do it right. Nothing says bah-humbug like a single pumpkin posted all alone at the front door!
-J

No comments:

Post a Comment