Monday, February 15, 2010

Aaaand finally(!!!) the long awaited follow up.

I know this may be a bit of shameless promotion- but really(!) they may as well have said, "for design trends moving forward just take your happy hips down to Filthy Gorgeous!"


You know, I actually had a whole other response all written and ready to go. It was great. I loved it. But, then I read it again. And then again. See, that's how my brain works- in obsessively vicious little circles (doesn't everyone's?). And after the 27th re-read, I decided I hated it and that I had apparently had a momentary lapse of consciousness and fallen prey to the sheep syndrome all too common in the world of interior design. Luckily I remembered that I was not a tall, thin, middle aged, Caucasian woman, having just earned my Interior Design Degree from University of Phoenix, driving my 2.5 children to soccer practice between my consultation appointments which I hold in the 4th bedroom/design studio at the end of the berber carpeted hallway in my modern-technology appointed tract home in San Ramon. Not that I have ANYTHING against any of those wonderfully delightful qualities or a person who actually possesses them all. NOT IN THE LEAST BIT. My point is, I am not that person. Further, and perhaps consequently, I am not the typical good designer who listens to all of the new rules given by the multitude of design magazines and industry leaders. Hardly! Ha! Nope, I'm a renegade. A design-rogue, if you will. I follow my own lead and march to my own (albeit idiosyncratic) beat. I just CANT do as I'm told and like what they tell me to, because they tell me to. Quite simply, I just gotts to be me! Now, having said that, we may continue and I will share with you my take on the supposed direction of interior design for 2010. And when I'm finished, no doubt, you will agree with it all... because I said so! No, no, ha! JK, JK! I don't really care if you agree with it all (but you better agree with most of it, thanxxxx) Seriously though, my hope is that this gets you thinking about your own sense of design and trends and the relevance of both. And, finally, that in the end, armed with a new sense of your own style, you are inspired to take steps to implement it with bold conviction in your own life. So now, lets begin...

10 Design Trend for 2010:

1. Palette/Color (neutral's ie: gray, pretty pops ie: purple/yellow, creative combo's ie: gray with purple accents)
Ok, I loves this one. Because it's just so... so, well it's just so duh! Beyond the 'new' concept of purple and yellow against neutral backdrops, the core principle here is that neutral bases provide you with the versatility to pop just about any color you like. What I might say though to further the point is that there is more to the neutral array than beige. Those of you who know the Shop know that gray is my number one jam! But beyond beige or gray, what about dare I say it a pale blue or a dusty green... yes folks, you may step out of the brown colored box. Aaaaand, duh.

2. Bold Design Decisions (risk taking ie: sparkle glamor)
Well hallelujah! Ha! I mean really, if you don't love
a bit of glam, well, well... well are you sure you're reading the right blog?!?! Sparkle people- SPARKLE!!!

3. Layered Flooring (multiple area rugs layered on top of one another)
While I scoff at anyone who would actually attempt to pass this off as a new idea (this will be a recurring theme moving forward. I know- SO unlike me, what can I say?) me likes this one too. HOWEVER, I would caution you to take care when layering ANYthing on your floor! Your goal should be adding texture or perhaps increasing the cozy factor, NOT looking like your local Persian Rug showroom!

4. Keeping It Real (no more faux stuff!)
No more f... n-n-n-no more f-f-f-... no more faux... WHAT?!?!? Stop the presses, hold up, gimme a minute! Nnnno! How dare they! Ok, Ill give 'em this. Animal hide/print must be applied carefully and in small doses. BUT, nothing says luscious, gorgeous glamor like a properly place zebra hide rug or a suppley down-stuffed cheetah print pillow! NOTHING!

5. Artisanal Goods (craftsmanship is in again!)
Cute. And so I think this one is a go. However, I will be so bold as to take this one step further and suggest that it is even better to seek out the smaller, independent options with regard to nearly every stylistic purchase. Enough of the mass-produced, disingenuous crap from the big-box bullies!!! Take care, take time and buy smart! Make a space that says it's you, and last time I checked, none of you were named Ikea, or Target. I take no prisoners, do not play with me.

6. Texture (natural materials)
Yyyyees! Yeeees!!! Oooh YES!!! Hang on I need a sip of water... fewh! Ok, the reason for my sudden explosion of agreement is that this point is SO important! It's key to so much else. For example, can you imagine the ha-rah of a beige-walled room with a beige sofa and a beige carpet and a beige painted coffee table and a beige... AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Without going into an unnecessary explanation of how "human-wastey" that space would look- lets just all agree that it would be bad! BUT, what if the beige was broken up by varying shades naturally given by a variety of textures- so the walls turn to a taupey-khaki color and the sofa warms to a rich chocolate and the coffee table is a weather washed- drift wood with gray undertones and the rug lightens to a shaggy cream... suddenly the space comes to life and begins to work for its dinner!

7. The Well Traveled Look (collected souvenirs add personality)
Ummmm... two words: FILTHY and GORGEOUS.

8. Mix It Up (a carefully created 'anything' goes look)
See commentary for point number 7, above.

9. Old Is New Again (vintage and antique finds are affordable and essential)
This is getting to be ridiculous.

10. Wallpapered Ceilings (just what I said)
Ok, methinks this could be good. But, beyond the potential for kinked necks and severe back pain, I'm going to recommend that you consult a professional if this idea calls to you; primarily because of all that could go wrong. Considerations for room size, ceiling height, paper pattern/print, application and so on and so forth need to be accounted for before you take on such a project. Otherwise you could end up with just a big'ol mess!


Aight then. I'm going to let you chew on that for a few and promise to pick up with the "Trends We Cant Wait To Let Go Of" next time (no really, this time I promise)! But can I just say one last thing... really, ummm.... FILTHY GORGEOUS people. Man!

-J

No comments:

Post a Comment