Friday, January 29, 2010








The 'new' use of texture per our incredibly creatively innovative friends at West Elm.
Credit: West Elm









While I am aware that the following commentary is about a month late... as I've said before, better late than never (and, get off my back, okaaaay?!?!?).  Actually, this particular article got buried in my, ''oooo, I gots-tuh speak on that" list and then, while I was sitting in traffic this morning scrolling through my day's agenda, I stumbled upon it (as well as, woopeee(!) lucky for you, about 900 other posts just awaitin to be posted).  What?!?!?!  Don't play!  Do not condemn me for scrolling through my phone while I was sitting in the driver's seat!  For some of us, that is the only 'down time' we get.  I prefer to think of it as a talented implementation of multi-tasking, NOT risking the lives of my fellow drivers as well as myself- thank you very much Oprah!  I mean, when I have more money than God and can hire someone to chauffeur my butt through the Mc-ee D's drive-through instead of having to battle it out on the clogged highways and clotted freeways of The Bay, then and only then, will I let her majesty Empress O make me feel bad for making the most of my every moment.  Now, lets all bow our heads and pray that I don't live to regret that statement, ha!  (But seriously, I laugh to hide the tears...  :-(   commuting is SO hectic!)  And we're back on topic...!  Anyway, it's a list of the supposed impending interior design trends for 2010, as well as a brief grouping of thank-god-they're-gone's, posted at SFChronicle.com (by Anh-Minh Le).  For both of our sakes though, I will cut it up and only give you the meat (mmmmm... meat!) as follows:

10 Interior Design Trends for 2010:
1.  Pallette/Color (neutral's ie: grey, pretty pops ie: purple/yellow, creative combo's ie: grey with purple accents)
2.  Bold Design Decisions (risk taking ie: sparkle glamour)
3.  Layered Flooring (multiple area rugs layered on top of one another) 
4.  Keeping It Real (no more faux stuff!)
5.  Artisanal Goods (craftsmanship is in again!)
6.  Texture (natural materials)
7.  The Well Traveled Look (collected souvenirs add personality)
8.  Mix It Up (a carefully created 'anything' goes look)
9.  Old Is New Again (vintage and antique finds are affordable and essential)
10. Wallpapered Ceilings (just what I said)

Trends We Cant Wait To Let Go Of:
1.  Taxidermy Overkill (I mean, you get this one, right?)
2.  Flat Screen TV's Mounted Too High (realistic placement of tech toys)
3.  Home Makeover Shows That Set Unrealistic Goals/Expectations (I couldn't have said it better myself!  Well, I actually could have, but thanks for saying it nonetheless! Holler!)
4.  Shallow Sink Basins (wet crotch is never a cute look)
5.  Overdoing It With Designer Repro's (no more fake Eames chairs!!!)
6.  The phrase 'man cave' (um, eew)
7.  Granite And Stainless Steel Combo (think outside the box)


And so, I will leave you with that- for now.  Let it sink in, simmer, stew and such (mmmm... meat stew.  GAWD- someones HUNGRY!).  Think about the trends, think about those that are (apparently) in need of getting rid of, and we will resume this subject next post... you know so I can tell you where THEY are right but more interestingly where THEY ARE WRONG, and why you are wrong (ha! Kidding!  Only kidding... sorta) and Ill fix it all up so we can go forth armed with the CORRECT information and design power.  Okay?  Ok, yay!  Go team.

-J

 


No comments:

Post a Comment